Splendors of Dawn Poetry Foundation, is a registered non-profit Non-Governmental Organization, (Reg. No. G-37,241) founded to celebrate Poetry for the new African Future. The foundation is established on a principle of partnership and the mission of “bringing people together through art” by promoting African cultural values and tradition with the vision of excellence through poetry as the highest, most complete expression of truth and beauty.
Objectives, Profile and Projects
- To use poetry to accelerate positive social change.
- Strengthen the presence and profile of African Poetry within Africa and overseas.
- Use the power of poetry to bring together artists around the world, to advance human rights and respect for the fundamental human rights of all persons, to promote democracy and excellence in leadership and work place, to promote cross-cultural understanding, and love for humanity and world peace.
- Use Poets and Poetry in educational, healthcare, community, democracy support projects.
- Promote Poetry reading and writing associated with African Poetry in all its forms.
- Advance the writing of Poetry and the better understanding and appreciation of Poetry in schools and universities by championing and developing artistic experiences that enrich people’s lives.
- Establish networks and links between writers, readers, publishers and Poetry related organizations in Africa and overseas; to build network of mutual help and thus promote communication among poets.
- Committed to a vigorous presence for Poetry in Africa by making poetry more accessible.
- To encourage and develop opportunities for poets and contemporary poetry in Africa.
- To act as the central contact for anything to do with Poetry in Africa and the preservation of poetry in Africa.
- Develop and provide products and services such as :
- A national journal of high quality poetry, articles and reviews, African History through poems, Anthology of African Poetry, African Poetry magazine e.t.c
- A comprehensive library of African Poetry.
- Facilitating specifically geared spoken-word workshop sessions and seminars.
- Organize poetry competition activities to foster deep cultural interaction and education.
- Educational and promotional materials.
- Africa’s first interactive performance forum projecting cutting-edge spoken-word, and a broad spectrum of classical and contemporary poetry, new media, and live beats from an African perspective worldwide.
- Support for reading tours, international events and festivals for African Poets.
Splendors of Dawn Poetry foundation will work with young people and adults in schools, colleges, Universities and the community across Ghana and ultimately Africa so as to deepen their understanding on poetry and to deliver a range of educational materials through workshops based on these projects:
Write To Learn
Under the Write to Learn Project, Splendor of Dawn undertakes poetry lessons in schools through Poetry Clubs. The clubs operate autonomously in their various schools but with a unique system/mode of operation prescribed by the Foundation. Poetry lessons and workshops are the main activities of the clubs. A grand annual Write to Learn Contest is organized, which is tailored to underscore the ultimate objective of the foundation that seeks to advance good poetry writing.
Poetry Lessons in schools supported by workshops and resource packs class consists of three teams across three different age groups from Primary 4. We offer opportunities for boys and girls to learn life skills through the medium of Poetry; we teach them the benefits of, among other things, team work, social responsibility, leadership and love for humanity. The poetry writing competition is for AGE: 11-14 in Junior High Schools (JHS) & AGE 15-19 in Senior High Schools (SHS).
We provide in-depth writing instruction in a variety of areas that schools often don’t include in their curriculum. Creative and expository writing skills are essential for students to be able to express themselves as well as advance in school and the workforce. The student’s work will be published in an anthology.
Speak To My Mind
Annual National Recitation contest for schools & Bi-Monthly Visiting Poets: Poetry Readings. Through this project, we encourage students to craft poems that would enable them to explore and to harness the power of their own voice and sharpen their memory.
- Read Africa Project
Book clubs in the Universities & (Poetry Readings.) Promoting reading books written by African writers. With this project we stress the importance of reading and of a well rounded education, with emphasis on theoretical and practical education.
We grow on books
(Read two books a week project) A project intended to redevelop a reading and writing culture in Africa. This project runs concomitantly with the Write to Learn and Read Africa Projects. This project also intends to throw a challenge to its associates to develop a culture of writing.
Save The Human, Life Is With People
This is a project of inspiration and social change, to create a society not just having the look of a human but being human. For healthcare, prisons, homes for disabled, orphans, elderly, etc, Community, democracy support projects.
This project undertakes a special quadrennial Step for Change initiative that reach out to its communities every election year on themes of, peace and reconciliation process in our society, especially in politics and chieftaincy issues. This is achieved through a quadrennial;
- Poetry performance for communities and political campaign teams members
- Talk shops/Operas for contesting Parliamentary candidates.
Also, poetry readings with themes on humanity and life, poems for peace, exploring topical social and human rights issues, providing strength and succor to many through poetry and creating empowerment.
Also, For Poetry performance at public functions raising poetry to the highest level of power and expressiveness. To bring unparalleled grace and eloquence to the treatment of modern and traditional African themes. A flow and grandeur that lift poetry far!
Tailoring these to suit the needs of each group, splendor of Dawn publish four major publications, including two anthologies on poetry and two other magazines/Newsletter about the foundation.
Splendors of Dawn P.F.- Anthology Of Modern Poetry :
A collection of contemporary poetry across Africa. (To print the best African verse which are being written today!)
- Splendors of Dawn P.F– African History through Poems titled TalkStory (Anthology):
A collection of history, tradition and culture inspired poems telling the African story by the Africans. Serve as both entertainment and education. A chance for Africa to be heard in her own place by the world.
- a) A LIBRARY OF POEMS: (Books, The Sound of Poetry featuring Poetry on Plaque, CDS, T-shirts, Mugs, Greeting cards e.t.c, Gift items.)
- b) TODAY’S POET: Celebrating Contemporary Poets. (Profile, Interviews, Lectures, Readings, Book launch, featuring poets in community projects & inspirational talk shows,
- c) THE POET READS FROM THE HEART: Short poetry films featuring poets reading their own work in an environment close to nature e.tc) On Televisions, Radios, Print Media.
- Splendors of Dawn P.F. Poetry Magazine. (For Africa)
A poetry magazine devoted to verse in Africa. (A National journal, A Literary journal)
Splendors of Dawn P.F. Newsletter Titled: POET NEST.
A bi-weekly updates of poetry and feature stories. News on the latest in poetry and poets also features children’s poetry.
Splendors of Dawn P. F Tours:
Readings and poetry performance and Tours to international poetry events and festivals. To promote cultural understanding and peaceful co-existence between different races of the world.
- The Map of Africa:
The Foundation is for Africa, and is to spread over Africa in splendor being a
Part of an African cultural and intellectual renaissance.
To promote traditional and contemporary African poetry.
To celebrate poets in Africa.
- The Sun:
The sunrays contain all the colors of a rainbow. The powerful, invigorating positive energy is symbolic, Splendors of Dawn poetry foundation being a team of passionate poets for positive change.
- Color Green:
The healing colour and splendor of nature. The bliss of growth!
Significance of Logo
Splendors of Dawn, is a whisper from eternity, the sacred energy of divine light and true beauty. It represents NEW LIGHT, the power of Light and hope. This Logo reminds us that we are LIGHT BEING and can reflect the light in powerful ways if we choose to do so. So, make the Light in you sparkle. Let the bright rays of Light shoot out from within to illuminate Africa, to heal Africa. To illuminate the World, to heal the World!
Welcome the sun! Welcome Sunrise’s grandeur!
The motto of the foundation is, “Poets for positive change”