originally published in creativewritingnews.com April 4 2019
Chicken Soup for the Soul is currently accepting submissions for its forthcoming anthology which will be titled: “I Can’t Stop Laughing!”
if you are interested in receiving their $200 pay check and 10 contributors copy, then you should start polishing your personal essay and poems. Deadline for submissions is: July 31st, 2019.
- Length for stories: not more than 1200 words. Employ word economy
- Tell your story in a manner that will evoke emotions from the reader (make the reader cry, laugh, get goose bumps or say “Wow!”)
- The story should start “in the action” and draw in the reader. Do not start your story with an introduction to what you are going to say, or end with a concluding paragraph about what you just said.
- Don’t try fancy moves with tenses. Writing in the present tense about something that happened in the past rarely works.
- Your story must be true. No fiction. But creative non-fiction will do.
There are a few free sample stories on the Chicken Soup Website so you can get inspiration from reading their archives.
If you hate rejections, then you’ll want to send your work to this publication. They have an interesting policy about not sending out rejections. This means that you can only expect to hear from them if they are interested in publishing your work.
According to their press release::
“We have all had this kind of thing happen. A situation that is not necessarily supposed to be humorous turns into something that makes us laugh. And laugh we do. Out loud! We can’t seem to help ourselves. And if we try not to laugh, that only makes it worse. And if someone says, don’t laugh… well, you know what happens.
We are looking for stories about something that happened to you in your life – in your relationship with a partner or spouse, a parent or child, a family member or friend, at work or at home – that made you and the people around you laugh out loud. Did you mean for it to be funny? Did the other person mean to make you laugh? Did a situation just get out of control? Did a misunderstanding turn into a comedy of errors? We can’t wait to hear your true stories. We want them to be silly, outrageous and hilarious, and they absolutely must make us laugh!“
Think you can make them laugh, then click to submit to the Chicken Soup For The Soul I Can’t Stop Laughing Anthology ,0